We are often told that we should lead from the front, set an example, never ask someone to do something that you are not prepared to do yourself. As a leader we also need to be strong exuding confidence, power and a belief system that is unbreakable. Napoleon Hill carried out a study in his book Think and Grow Rich about successful people that became great leaders of their business, and he found that they all had one trait in common, and that was their belief system. If your belief system is strong and impenetrable, you will succeed and reach your goal or achieve your desired outcome. So is this something we can learn, or is it something that is hard wired in our minds at birth?
Personally I think we all have the ability to change our direction in life, we all have the ability to change our emotional state, we all have the ability to change our belief pattern. In Steve Covey’s book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, he explains a paradigm shift with a story of a man on a train platform, without going into too much detail, this man went from being agitated, angry and frustrated to being humble, apologetic, caring and sympathetic in a nanosecond, which means what we see and believe to be true at that the moment in time can be changed very easily in a blink of the eye.
So what makes a great leader?
I’ve compiled a list of 5 of quotes from great leaders for you to ponder on.
- The price of greatness is responsibility – Winston Churchill
- Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower – Steve Jobs
- As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others – Bill Gates
- I must follow the people. Am I not their leader? Benjamin Disraeli
- Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.” – John Fitzgerald Kennedy